Another day again, but at least we’re past the half-way mark. I start packing the car at 6:45, and we get to the hall at 7:00, pick up the scouts and make our way out to site.
As usual, I start out by explaining the day’s goals: Prepare the next batch of mosaic tiles (clean them), dig compact and pave the mosaic path, build the rest of the bench, excavate the whole playground, and paint the second base coat on the wall. In addition, we wanted to put up the horizontal steps for the monkey bars, and paint the newly added poles.
Nick and Justin get started on that, whilst Nina, Natasha and Simphiwe get the tiles out of the moulds and begin cleaning them, a process made much easier with the use of sandpaper.
While they are doing that, I take the mould off the slab we cast at the base of the ladder to see how it came out.
It was then that the first bus of Bishops Boys arrived. There was still the issue of the second railing to put up, so I got half of them involved in digging up and replacing that. It was a task that was underestimated because the previous railings were sunk very deeply.
The other half of the boys decided to paint, so they did the base coat on the wall. When that was done, they did some finishing touches on the jungle gym, as well as the newly added poles. During that time, the wall dried and they asked to do some artwork, so I let them splatter paint onto it.
Meanwhile, Simphiwe, Nina and Natasha had finished the mosaics, so we got to work widening the path we dug last week, as well as extending it. The use of the compactor made life much easier when flattening the ground, although a rake would have been much appreciated.
When the digging had been half-done and there were people looking for something to do, we began mixing mortar for the bench. The actual building of the bench was a little tricky, and I don’t think that the mortar will hold it. We will probably have to do something about it.
In the afternoon, we carried on digging the path, and when we were finished, we started laying the tiles. Around then, the second bishops bus arrived, and they started the excavation work. This was tiring but we managed quite a lot before the day was done.
Eventually, all the tiles were laid and we had excavated a large part of the ground, and we all went home with blisters on our hands.
More images can be found at https://photos.app.goo.gl/XLnOrMr8JNbIllV32